Thursday, June 3, 2010

FAIL... theater, movies and wg party

I know I fail at writing a blog. I guess I feel that exciting things aren't happening on a regular basis so I don't write very often. But here goes...
So in the last few weeks I have experienced the theater of Berlin. A few weeks ago I saw a play called "Alya, Alias Tochther" (tochter means daughter). It was a play that confronted the issue of Turkish families assimilating to life in German. Alya, a german born turkish girl, falls in love with a german boy, however their love is forbidden, due to the cultural values of her family. Well her parents find out and try to betroth her to her brother's best friend, and she acts out during on of the rituals, and shames her family. When this happens in turkish culture, the daughter is to win back her family's honor by dying. Her would-be fiance gives her father a gun to kill her with, which he gives to his son. The son returns and says that he couldn't do it, and then the father recieves a letter from Alya, stating that it is her life and she deserves to choose how to live it, and then he kills himself. Pretty heavy stuff, but a very interesting play.

Last Friday I also saw a play called Marlene, which documents the late career of Marlene Dietrich. There wasn't too much plot, it was mostly just a sad representation of a woman whose career has died, yet she still tries to keep it alive and also portrays her emotional and erratic outbursts. Then at the end there was about 25 minutes of Marlene's songs.

Last thursday I went to see sex and the city 2, auf deutsch. Now that was a novel experience. When we got there and bought our tickets, they asked us where we would like to sit, apparently they assign seats for movies, which is weird. then at the concession stands they sell beer and wine, which of course i got a beer, for the simple fact that we cannot do that in the states. well we went in for the movie and the theater was empty, so Esther and I decided to sit more in the middle of the row than our assigned seats. Well as the theater filled up, the people with tickets for those seats showed up. So we gave them their seats and took ours, but it was silly because they were a large group that was split in two, and if they had just let us keep their seats and taken ours, they would have been able to all sit together. But instead a woman decided it would be better to sit apart and continually walk between the two groups throughout the movie. lol. she was blonde. then the movie was set to start, but it began with a good half hour or so of commercial ads, followed by another 10-15 minutes of movie trailers. so 40 minutes later the movie actually starts. It was good, and fairly easy to follow, but i didn't understand all of it. Then halfway through the movie, the screen goes black and then "PAUSE" appeared. Yes we had a 10 minute intermission for a 2 hour movie. ridiculous. haha. well that was definitely an experience.

This past Saturday my roommates and I had a party at our apartment (WG=wohnung). it was a great time, and we had alot of people show up. Our apartment was definitely trashed, but not wrecked like houses often look after american parties. My friends and I spent the afternoon searching out materials to build a beer bong, and finally decided upon some ribbed green hosing and the cone from a zuluu, aka noisemaker for soccer games. My friend caroline painted the funnel part with "America FUCK YA!" and some big green eyes to make the beer bong look like a snake. Lets just say, my beer bong got a lot of action that night. lol. the party was good fun, and sometime around 3 am my friends and I decided to get doener, aka best drunk food ever. my house had been decorated with british flags for some reason, not entirely sure why, but of course Jack, a brit, brought one with him. haha. Outside my house we found a shopping cart from Netto, and decided to take it along to get doener. After returing home from our delicious drunken adventure, we hung out in my room for a bit, but then around 4 am the cops came, in riot gear, and shut us down. The party was still packed at 4, so that was pretty cool. As for the riot gear, I later found out its pretty standard stuff for breaking up parties, because you never know how drunk people will act, especially in the close quarters of a WG.

Well my friend Jackie is coming to visit for a week starting tomorrow, so should have some good stories there. Bis dann!

No comments:

Post a Comment